VMworld 2018 officially kicked of today with the day-1 General Session. Pat Gelsinger, VMware CEO, Ray O’Farrell, VMware EVP and CTO, along with guest speaker Andy Jassy, CEO of Amazon Web Services, got things going this morning as they discussed how VMware has and continues to shape the future of the cloud, mobile, networking, and security.
Pat, together with Andy, announced the acquisition of Cloud Management company CloudHealth Technologies, the leading global platform for native multi-cloud operations. With over 3,000 customers around the world, CloudHealth Technologies delivers a cloud operations platform across AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud that is designed to dramatically simplify the operations of using multiple clouds.
Also announced was the ability to now run Amazon RDS on vSphere in on-prem data centers. Supported databases include Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, and MariaDB. High level capabilities include automation of database provisioning, operating system and database patching, backup, point-in-time restore, storage and compute scaling, instance health monitoring, and failover.
Below is a summary of all announcements made by VMware today, either during the general session of via press release.
Public Cloud Integration
- VMware Cloud on AWS continues global expansion with availability in the AWS Asia Pacific (Sydney) region and introduces new capabilities to accelerate cloud migration at any scale.
- New cloud automation services (Cloud Assembly, Service Broker, and Code Stream) streamline multi-cloud infrastructure and application delivery, enhance visibility and cross-functional collaboration and provide continuous delivery and release automation.
- Wavefront by VMware provides application operations capabilities that enable developers to troubleshoot and optimize performance of highly-distributed, microservice-based cloud applications in real-time.
- New vRealize Suite 2018 helps embrace multi-cloud strategy with enhanced support for AWS and Azure and workload migration planning across multiple clouds.
- Log Intelligence, offers unified visibility into infrastructure and application logs across private clouds and AWS. It provides rich dashboards and delivers innovative indexing
- Are you migrating to VMware Cloud on AWS? Calculate your estimated cost and capacity with VMware Cost Insight.
VMware Cloud Provider Platform
- Offer VMware Cloud on AWS as a managed service and offer asset-light services across multiple clouds with the VMware Cloud Provider Hub.
- Custom-design a VMware Cloud environment and deploy it in a single click with built-in scale, performance and interoperability testing using Cloud Provider Pod.
- vCloud Director enhancements simplify cloud operations with next-generation hybridity and security and an improved user experience for both providers and enterprises.
- vCloud Director 9.5 now features native integration with EMC Avamar Data Protection. New integration with vRealize Operations 7.0 surfaces chargeback capabilities in addition to providing performance optimization, capacity and cost management, and proactive troubleshooting.
- New vCloud Availability capabilities for vCloud Director service providers come in the form of virtual data center to virtual data center disaster recovery and/or migration services, with simple installation, a scalable architecture, policy controls, a self-service UI and API features, as well as integrated reporting.
Data Center Modernization
- vSphere 6.7 Update 1 delivers a fully-featured HTML5-based vSphere client. It also adds vMotion capabilities to Nvidia GRID vGPUs, providing enhanced support for new and intelligent workloads, such as: AI, Machine Learning (ML), and HPC.
- vSphere Platinum delivers a purpose-built solution that secures infrastructure and applications by leveraging the hypervisor, and the power of machine-learning, in a way that is built-in, operationally simple, with minimal overhead or impact on performance.
- vSAN 6.7 Update 1 makes it easy to adopt HCI with simplified operations that improve infrastructure stability and efficiency, so you can correctly estimate your needs and spend less on capacity. An enhanced support experience means you can also spend less time and effort on issue resolution.
- Self-driving operations with vRealize Operations 7.0 delivers continuous performance and capacity optimization, intelligent remediation, and unified visibility from applications to infrastructure across SDDC and cloud environments.
- vRealize Automation 7.5 supports wider developer skill sets and application types with enhanced configuration management integration and a unified container platform.
- vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager 2.0 delivers DevOps for CMP with enhanced lifecycle management, including certificate management, vRealize Operations content, and simultaneous release of content across the full vRealize Suite.
- VMware Cloud Foundation 3.0 further enables delivery of a fully-integrated hybrid-cloud platform. New features include: support for any network switch and new vSAN ReadyNodes, new multi-cluster workload domains, infrastructure hybridity, and workload mobility-at-scale with NSX Hybrid Connect.
Network & Security Transformation
- Manage network functions, gain network visibility, and manage security policies in a single place, for all applications, across your multi-cloud landscape including on-premises data centers, Azure, and AWS with NSX Cloud.
- Adopt a zero-trust application security model with next-level micro-segmentation that includes built-in, automatable, and consistent workload protection and application control with AppDefense.
- NSX-T Data Center 2.3 adds support for bare metal servers and containers and introduces intent-based security policy creation, so you can define policies in plain, declarative language.
- vRealize Network Insight 3.9 enables security planning and visibility for NSX Data Center, including NSX-T.
- VMware Workspace ONE 10 leverages industry-first modern management and application services to radically change the way end-user services are delivered by IT. Manage PCs efficiently over-the-air to dramatically cut IT costs, deliver the apps employees need on any device, and support the business with transformative customer experiences to gain competitive advantages and build new revenue streams.